Welcome to twinkie tush! If you are new, please read this first! :)
And click here for the twinkie tush online shop!

Monday, November 4, 2013

Meet our November 2013 Fan of the Month, Courtney Champion!

Happy November! :)  I am so excited to introduce you to our November 2013 Fan of the Month, Courtney Champion!  You may recognize her from our website as the photo she submitted back when we launched was chosen as one of our landing page images. <3



We have loved getting to know Courtney and her daughter better through this interview and hope you will as well!  Read on to learn about them and click here for information about the twinkie tush Fan of the Month feature and how to enter!  FotM receives an Ultimate Dibs Pass to use during their month and is highlighted here on the blog and on facebook!  Entries for December are now open and will stay open through 11/17!  Get yours in now! :)

Now let's get to know Courtney and Clara! <3



What is your full name?

Courtney Champion


Where are you from originally and where do you live now?

I grew up in Daphne, Alabama and currently live in a suburb of Richmond, Virginia.


How many children do you have and what are their ages?

One - Clara, almost 20 months.


How and when did you find twinkie tush?

My friend Marlyn introduced me to twinkie tush after Clara was born. She sent us our first twinkie tush, a turned, pre-stretch fleece Picnic. I remember being so excited when Clara could finally fit into it. It looked huge on her, but I put it on as soon as she reached 12 pounds.


What is your favorite twinkie tush print of all time?

Cottage Rose (and pretty much any pink rose diaper).




Do you have an ultimate ISO print?

Spectrum. I love vintage fabrics.




What is your favorite personal non-parenting related, non-work related hobby?

I write a food blog called Cook Like a Champion. I absolutely love cooking and baking, especially when I need an escape from things that are bothering me. Blogging has connected me to so many people I wouldn’t have met otherwise, and I get so much joy when people comment and tell me that they made and loved a recipe I posted. Plus, it’s fun (and honestly, sometimes cringe-worthy haha) to look back at the photos I posted when I started my blog five years ago. I’ve grown so much as a cook, photographer and blogger, and it’s nice to be able to see tangible proof of that by looking back at my early posts. Food is my love language, and I’d still be cooking and baking even without the blog. When I can’t find the words to say, I give food. I love that I can make something that can provide comfort or a smile. I mean, have you ever seen anyone feel sad around cupcakes or cookies?


What makes you feel most inspired or grounded?  How do you take care of yourself and your spirit?

I have a group of friends (that I met through blogging) that I email with on a daily basis. Even though we are all in different cities, it doesn’t feel that way. Whenever I have a problem or am feeling down about something, I know they’ll be there to help me. They continually inspire me, and I can’t imagine my life without them in it. I’m also an advisor for a local chapter of my sorority, and I feel so lucky to be able to help guide the women I advise. Plus, they adore Clara and always get excited when I bring her to events. Since we don’t have family nearby, it’s makes me happy to see a bunch of people doting on her. Our sorority’s flower is the pink rose, and Clara is our little Rose Petal (hence my love of pink rose diapers).


What is your favorite activity to do with Clara?

I love reading with Clara. She will grab as many of her babies that she can hold and enthusiastically back up into my lap. There’s something magical in helping her discover new words or or places or things, and hope her love of reading continues to grow as she does.


What is/was your favorite place to visit?

Sonoma, California. We went there on our honeymoon and were completely smitten. Good food + good wine = a dreamy vacation for us. Luckily for us, Virginia has a ton of wineries and plenty of fantastic restaurants.


What is your favorite book?  What about your favorite movie?

I love all of the Harry Potter books. My husband has been reading them (along with the Narnia and Lord of the Rings series) to Clara at bedtime since she was just a few months old. He reads; I feed. It’s a good system. ;) I also love Pride and Prejudice. I love the movie adaptations of those books, too, but my favorite movie of all time is The American President.


What is something surprising about you, that people might not guess upon meeting you?

My favorite TV show of all time is The X Files. I was obsessed with it from about 8th grade until it ended my junior year of high school.  People seem weirdly shocked when they find out that I like sci-fi type shows. I’m kind of a nerd, and I’m totally okay with that.


What twinkie tush attribute and/or philosophy do you most appreciate?

The generous and kind spirit twinkie tush shows its customers. You never hesitate to donate your talent to worthy causes, and I think that is simply amazing. I also love that, even as your business has grown, you still keep in touch with your customers/fans. You’ve created a wonderful community, and I’ve gained a wonderful friend because of that. I met Nicole through the twinkie tush Facebook group, and we quickly became friends, messaging each other frequently. Her daughter is only one day older than Clara. We even all got to meet in September, and it was so wonderful to hang out with her and her family and feel like we’ve been friends forever.


What would you tell someone who has yet to try a twinkie tush diaper?

Do it! Not only are you buying a high quality product, but you are supporting a wonderful company that sees its customers as people and not just a number.


Tell us your funniest cloth-diapering or parenting story!

Explaining cloth diapering to a bunch of college students was pretty amusing. When I had Clara with me at a sorority event over the summer, a few of the girls were enthralled with her diapers when they saw them. It was hilarious to hear them say things like “Oh my gosh! Is that a real diaper?” and “Does that diaper have roses on it?!” I like to think I’m using cute diapers to encourage the next generation of cloth diaperers. ;)


Tell us about one of the most meaningful parenting experiences you have had.

Being able to breastfeed Clara as long as I have means more than I can say. I know a lot of people think doing it past 12 months is odd, but I am so thankful that I’ve been able to continue nursing Clara. She was born with thumb hypoplasia, and I remember being terrified of what that might mean for her. But somehow, when she perfectly latched on the first time she tried, I knew that I was giving her everything she needed in that moment. It was an empowering feeling, and it made some of that fear subside.





Courtney, thank you again for sharing about yourself and your beautiful little girl!  We are so happy to have you as our November Fan of the Month!

1 comment: